Monday, October 01, 2007

Procrastination! Procrastination!

I was procrastinating doing work earlier by doing the usual blog reading, saw this, and thought "Hey, I could do some more procrastination!"

1. Hardcover or paperback, and why?
Paperback...hardcovers are: too heavy, too expensive, and I hate the way the cover always slips off. I don't have time to deal with, like, a book wrapper.

2. If I were to own a book shop I would call it…
Kitty's Books. Or maybe Ginger's Books. With nice dark stained wood countertops (like an old bar) and a huge glass window out front with Kitty's Books painted in really distinguished type with a big outline of a tiger.

3. My favorite quote from a book (mention the title) is…
Have to go with ol' libertarian stand-by: "And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual" -East of Eden

4. The author (alive or deceased) I would love to have lunch with would be…
Oh man, I don't know. I'm very one-shot-y with authors. I mean, I would love to meet any of the following: Margaret Atwood, Henry James, Kazuo Ishiguro, Jane Austen, and a ton of others. However, I feel like I would end up making a fool of myself (for evidence see the past week: spilling Diet Coke in bag, locking keys in dorm room, falling down on the way to class). I really think it would be interesting to meet J.K. Rowling, because I basically grew up with her characters and would have a lot to say. Or Chris Moore because I looooove Lamb.

5. If I was going to a deserted island and could only bring one book, except from the SAS survival guide, it would be…
I honestly don't think I could handle reading one book over and over again until I died. That wouldn't work. I jump around way too much for that. I mean, I feel like P & P would keep me occupied for a long time, same with All the King's Men or, maybe, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I mean. The footnotes.

6. I would love someone to invent a bookish gadget that…
Would allow me time to not feel guilty for reading non-school related books during school.

7. The smell of an old book reminds me of…
Dolley Madison Library. Or my the closet in my grandparents' garage where they kept their overflow books. Either of those. I love any smell that reminds me of that sort of Central Florida dried pine, pleasantly musty smell at my grandparents' house.

8. If I could be the lead character in a book (mention the title), it would be…
This is a tad difficult because, while I'd like to be in the wizarding world of Harry Potter, I wouldn't exactly want to be Harry Potter. On the opposite side of that, sordid past undertones aside, Daisy Miller seems like she'd be fun to be except see: dying. Same for every other James character. And every other book I've read in the past two years. So, I don't know, either Elizabeth Bennett or Nancy Drew. Nancy is after all a fabulous ice-cold bitch who carries a gun sometimes and always looks becoming, so that might be cool.

9. The most overestimated book of all times is…
I don't know about everybody else, but Faulkner has a special place in my mind, and that is at the temple where it pulses in migraine-ish proportions whenever it is read.

10. I hate it when a book…
Starts out so strong and then just disappoints me or goes all out crazy in the end. Hey there, The Good Soldier! Thanks for popping in!

No comments: