Tuesday, June 12, 2007

When Boredom Strikes. Frequently.

Things I read about today at work:

  • The plans for Paris Hilton's post-incarceration party
  • The Washington Post's four part series on the atrociousness of the DC Public School System [this began as bored reading and then actually became extremely relavent to my job in the afternoon when I had to research it]. The most horrible/darkly hilarious part of it: an American University student taught at a DC elementary school for student teaching or something and the students were so used to the mice in their classroom that they had named them and drew pictures of them. I'm going to hell, obviously, but I did kind of laugh about that.
  • Why Hillary "Tits Magee" Clinton is getting the woman vote in the primary
  • Bush trying to get an Immigration Bill back on the table. If only the damn GOP would get on board.
  • Potential trades for Kobe Bryant. People seem to think he might be able to go to the Knicks. I just don't see that happening; Isiah has managed to destroy the franchise so much that they simply do not have something competitive to send to the Lakers.
  • Why the GOP totally hearts Scooter and, like, hates Alberto (which...word.)
  • John Hollinger's theory for fixing the NBA Playoffs
  • Jemele Hill's interesting take on Bruce Bowen
  • A review for Toby Keith's new album (I'm not such a TK fan)
  • Dale Earnhardt Jr. signing with Hendrick
  • Why my boss thinks Mitt Romney, or as he's called in some circles "Hott Mitt," is an extremely legitimate, very likable candidate
  • The lyrics to "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse.
  • The complete tech specs for both MacBooks and MacBook Pros
  • What Wikipedia has to say about Scientology (this happened because of a dead end during some background research for an article that randomly had a link there).
Sites I visited today at work:
  • Facebook. Obviously.
  • Go Fug Yourself (oh, Marcia Gay)
  • washingtonpost.com
  • Defamer
  • ESPN.com
  • The Comics Curmudgeon. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • Drudge Report
  • Wonkette (I KNOW. I'M SORRY. JUST REVOKE MY GOP MEMBERSHIP. I can't help it, I think it's funny.)
  • Buster Olney's MLB Blog
  • Tomato Nation
  • TMZ...I'm trying to figure out which I prefer, TMZ or Defamer.
  • Television Without Pity
  • The Fix on washingtonpost.com, which had an interesting translation of the Rudy email today.
New favorite commercial: 50 Cent for Vitamin Water. It may have just topped David Ortiz and Brian Urlacher for Vitamin Water.

Peyton Manning is at the Cavs game. Ew. And...why? ABC immediately cuts to Eva Longoria, who despite cheering for the other team, is Night at the Roxbury head nodding to Hang On Sloopy. At least she isn't wearing that ridiculous Andre 3000 hat she had on the other night. You know, despite all the obligatory "Ours Is an Endless LOVE. That's right, LOVE." with Tony Parker and Eva Longoria, I kind of want those kids to make it.

The center court NBA trophy continues to confound me. It's just so...cartoonish. I am almost as perplexed as Bill Russell was during Ben Harper's weird slide guitar rendition of the National Anthem.

Okay, Duncan and LeBron both have 3 fouls. I'm not sure how this series could get any duller. I mean, maybe they could just stop playing basketball? Sit at midcourt and basket weave or something?

ABC, we need to have a talk. David Blain is entirely unacceptable. We all know this. Hell, you probably know this. Replacing the already poorly placed Pussycat Dolls with that Sound Effects choir from the Oscars, though, is another startlingly out-of-touch move. A commercial I do enjoy, however, is the Nike "just believe" LeBron ad with the grainy shot and the old-school soul. It's very clean, classy, and effective.

I'm not really sure how I feel about Fantastic Four 2. On the one hand, the first one was acceptably mediocre. Of course, Jessica Alba defied awful. I mean, even as a girl I can say that she looked hot in that movie, but damn was she wooden. Take this for instance:

Dr. Doom or Whatever: Let's not fight.
Sue Storm, Which Is a Dumb Name to Begin With: No [long pause in which the viewer is able to contemplate just how ineffective that "no" sounded] let's. This is easily the most stilted, ineffectual reading of a two word sentence that only required "NO, LET'S." to make up for how poorly worded the entire exchange was.

Also, I'm kind of disturbed by what I've seen of this Silver Surfer person. First of all, that too is a really dumb name. Secondly, he just seems sort of stilted, himself. I'm sure that's for effect. But really I just can't believe that the MOST BADASS thing they could come up with was a sparkly guy on a surfboard and a weird voice.

Anyway, I have to go blowdry my hair. I wish I was kidding.

No comments: